Saturday, May 14, 2005

God and Religion

I was searching of my mind and language for a name for the formless and unsurpassable. I was born and raised in Nepal and Nepali is my native language. Ultimately, I settled on the only name I could find that satisfied my heart and mind: the word, Ishwor (God), the name my precious mother spoke to me about when I was a boy. If I had been born and raised in a Christian culture, the name I would have chosen would have been Jesus Christ; If born and raised in a Muslim culture, the name would have been Allah; etc. As humans, we are limited to viewing the world from our own perspective based on experiences, knowledge, language, etc. When we don't actually know how to describe something that we don't fully understand (nature being an example), we express an idea and thought in terms that are familiar to us. The danger comes in an individual's interpretation of the word. For example, the word aggressive may have either a negative connotation (pushy, overbearing) or a positive connotation (powerful, ambitious). Second, with regard to common sense, instinct, and intuition, I do not believe that science should be used in an attempt to explain how these "skills" are applied by people in understanding something.
We human beings are separated in colour, religion, race, nationality, caste, different thoughts and etc. As far I am aware, we have been separated ourselves in theists and agnostics in our daily life. The religions ask every individual to surrender himself/herself to the God. There are so many people have surrendered themselves to the god and the result is war and hate between each other. Today, everybody is trying to prove that they are the best race, colour, religion, nationality, caste and so on. Humans experience the world in their own ways. We all have different experiences and unique backgrounds in our life. Every experience in life shapes our mind in a unique way preunderstanding and knowledge. Knowledge is a biological phenomenon. Through their internal processes, each human engages in a creative relationship with the external world, bringing forth a myriad of different models. Anyway, I am not going to argue and involve in any debate. My objectives are simple that I want to learn and know others experiences about God and religion. I don’t have any motive to offend anybody so if anybody does not like this article, I want to request them, please, simply ignore it.
I know that I cannot answer everything through scientific reasoning. It is true that it is acute sense of limits of human intellect, the limits of understanding depends on an individual, not in science itself that differentiates agnostics from theists. The interest between our current knowledge and understanding of universe is enormous, in other word probably infinite.
One of the Hindu’s Vedic scholar Swami Vivekananda (1893) has stated his views in terms of religion and god in his word:
"...if there is ever to be a universal religion, it must be one which will have no location in place or time; which will be infinite like the God it will preach, and whose sun will shine upon the followers of Krishna and of Christ, on saints and sinners alike; which will not be Brahminic or Buddhistic, Christian or Mohammedan, but the sum total of all these, and still have infinite space for development ..."
James W. Dow (2004) has stated his view in terms of religion is involved in adaptation, and all measures show that it promotes well being of human. Desire and hunger are part of religion. Probably the largest source of religious symbols is food. Food is a primary survival need for any organism. Food symbolism in religion needs to be studied, because perhaps the trophic obligation involved in religion surfaces in cultural symbolism in this way.

No comments: